Monday, February 13, 2012

Lemon-Kissed Blueberry Waffles (or Pancakes)

Since I don't have a waffle iron, I was pleased to see that the "Lemon-Kissed Blueberry Waffles" recipe (page 518) could be used for pancake batter too (as can the other two waffle recipes in this book). Flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour) and old-fashioned oats, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder are blended with soymilk, fresh lemon juice, plus lemon zest, and fresh blueberries (although frozen would work too if fresh weren't available).  I replaced the ¼ cup melted margarine in the batter with an equal amount of applesauce which added tenderness and a touch more sweet, and eliminated 46 grams of fat in the process. I used a non-stick skillet to cook the pancakes, so no additional oil was needed there either. These pancakes are delicious topped with warmed pure maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment