Saturday, April 16, 2011

Seitan and Broccoli-Shiitake Stir-Fry

Although I do most of the cooking in our family, my husband has two specialties:  anything on the grill, and stir-frying.  I'm always happy when dinner falls into one of these categories and I get a break from the daily grind.  Such was the case with "Seitan and Broccoli-Shiitake Stir-Fry" on page 312.  Since my husband is highly allergic to shiitake mushrooms (and only shiitake) he used baby portabellas instead, a delicious alternative.  The seitan was part of a batch I had made a while back and froze, since the recipe in this book makes a very large quantity. Oil is called for twice in this dish, one for browning the seitan (using the seitan broth works as a good substitute here, although you won't really be able to "brown" the seitan), and once as a sprinkle of sesame oil for flavor, which can just be omitted.  My husband served this over brown rice, and we almost ate the entire dish in one sitting.  What was left over heated up well for lunch a couple days later.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favourites, so quick and easy. It's so simple... maybe that is why it tastes so good!
    That is rather sad about your husband being allergic to Shiitakes, they are so good. But at least he can eat other mushrooms, as all mushrooms are good.

    (And yes, my kittehs are rather adorable, if I do say so myself... hee.)

    ReplyDelete