Saturday, April 23, 2011

Scrambled Tofu with Chiles and Salsa


I keep forgetting there is an entire Breakfast & Brunch chapter in this book!  It seems most of my formal meal planning usually circles around dinner, but the good news is the "Scrambled Tofu with Chiles and Salsa" on page 508 would be just as delicious for the evening meal as it was for breakfast.  I admit, my version of this dish usually consists of mixing a package of Tofu Scrambler into a pound of tofu followed by a quick sauté in the skillet.  So, this was a little more effort, but not too much.  Red onions, canned green chilies, and plum tomatoes add color and flavor; optional vegan cheese is a nice touch, albeit a higher fat option; and salsa adds a nice zing to the finished product.  I added a pinch of turmeric for color, but totally not necessary if you aren't looking to make this dish look like traditional scrambled eggs.  I skipped the oil when sautéing the onions, that being the only change necessary to keep this McDougall friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment