Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Creamy Cauliflower

Touted as a low-carb alternative to mashed potatoes, the "Creamy Cauliflower" (page 364) is a novel way to cook this vegetable.  Strongly flavored with cayenne and smoked paprika, and an option for including a chipotle chili, this dish has a lot of pizzazz. It's an easy dish to put together, really just whirring cooked cauliflower along with the other ingredients together in a food processor, and popping in the oven for a spell.  I'm not sure if the "creamy" part is supposed to come from the soymilk, or margarine, or just the fact that it is pureed.  In either case, I omitted the margarine and didn't find the dish the less for it.  The green onions were blended into the overall mixture, giving the cauliflower a bit of an off-green hue.  If I make this again, I think I will stir the green onions (or chives) into the mixture after blending the other ingredients together, to avoid the off-color, and also give the dish a little texture.  The recipe called for more salt than I thought was necessary, but it probably depends on how big a head of cauliflower you have.  Start with less and taste test.

No comments:

Post a Comment