Monday, December 6, 2010

Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes and Basil


Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes and Basil

I'm always trying to find ways to get more veggies into my days.  With all the winter squash showing up in the markets, the timing was just right to make the "Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes and Basil" (page 383) and a great way to add to my veggie repertoire. The combination of fresh tomato, garlic, and basil gave this dish quite an Italian flair, and just bursting with vibrant flavors.  The recipe calls for cooking the spaghetti squash first (instructions say to cook whole in boiling water on the stove top - I chose to cut in half and bake in the oven), use a fork to pull out the spaghetti-like strands from the squash, then combine in a skillet with the rest of the ingredients.  The preparation time, once the squash has been cooked, is very quick, which helps preserve the flavor of each ingredient.  I did not use the oil called for in the recipe for sautéing the garlic, instead I used a couple tablespoons of vegetable broth.  I can't imagine how oil would have added any additional flavor to this dish. The squash all by itself tasted sweet and almost buttery.  I thought there would be a lot left over, but between me and my husband we almost polished off the entire skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment