Sunday, December 5, 2010

Corn and Potato Chowder

Corn and Potato Chowder
With another cold day comes another opportunity for warming soup.  Today's selection was "Corn and Potato Chowder" (page 165), and I imagine this will be showing up on my table quite often.  After simmering corn, potatoes, onion, and celery in broth or water until just done, half of the soup is blended up and returned to the pot, along with a little soy milk, and salt and pepper to taste.  The pureed portion of the soup is a pretty, pale yellow and provides a rich, smooth base for the remaining veggies.  Top individual bowlfuls with diced green onions or chives and dig in.  It's hard to eat just one bowl of this delicious soup.  If you make this the centerpiece of your meal, several bowls might be just the ticket!

The only change I had to make to keep in McDougall Plan friendly was to omit the oil for sautéing the onions.  I sautéed the onions without any added liquid in my cast iron soup pot.  When they started to brown, I splashed in a little broth to bring it all together, and proceeded with the rest of the recipe instructions from that point forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment