Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cashew Crème

I was looking for a topping for the vegan pumpkin pie I made for Thanksgiving, and decided to give the "Cashew Crème" (page 501) a try. Because of the recipe description, I was thinking it would somehow remind me more of a whipped cream style topping, like the tofu based crème toppings I have made in the past.  But the Cashew Crème came out a beautiful rich golden color (due to the dark maple syrup) that made me think more of butterscotch or caramel sauce. Oh, is this topping ever rich, creamy, and sweet!  The consistency is thick and smooth, and the flavors blended wonderfully with the pumpkin pie, each bite melting in my mouth feeling like pure decadence. I think this Cashew Crème would be good on vegan ice cream, mixed into a bowl of fruit, spread on cakes, just about anywhere you want a thick, sweet dessert topping.  No changes were necessary to make this compatible with the McDougall Plan - although I'm sure Dr. McDougall would caution us about the high fat content of the cashews and advise only an occasional indulgence! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment