Friday, October 15, 2010

Tastes Like Tuna Salad Sandwiches

Sandwiches are fun food!  Infinite possibilities and combinations of breads, wraps, fillings, spreads, and condiments can keep you going forever.  I don't think I could ever get tired of sandwiches.  The first sandwich I selected to try from this book was "Tastes Like Tuna Salad Sandwiches" (page 108).  It seems that chick peas (garbanzo beans) have become the vegan substitute for tuna, and I've seen several recipes for 'mock tuna' show up in many places.  This recipe also uses chick peas which you mash up (I used a potato masher) and add diced veggies, mayo, and seasoning to.  It is prepared with the same ingredients one would use to make tuna salad, but with one exception - the recipe calls for kelp powder to give it "a delicate taste of the sea".  I think this is a really good idea if you like the taste of kelp.  I happen not to like that taste, so I chose to omit the kelp.

This makes a very good sandwich spread, especially using the Vegan Mayonnaise from this book (see review above).  There were no modifications necessary to make this McDougall Plan friendly.  Served with a pickle on the side, and you are eating the best of vegan deli fare!

1 comment: